Many people grind or clench their teeth while they sleep. However, this habit can lead to a host of problems. People who grind their teeth often experience jaw or tooth pain. Grinding can also wear down the enamel of the tooth, weakening the structure and exposing it to bacteria and creating tooth sensitivity. Dr. Josh Muir and Dr. Jeff Tulett provide patients with night guards to help prevent dental damage.
With the proper care, night guards can last for a long time. To care for your appliance, our practice has come up with the following guidelines:
- Store your night guard in a ventilated container, so it can thoroughly dry when you are not wearing it.
- In the morning, run the appliance underneath a warm stream of water, and clean it with a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Be careful when handling your night guard; do not bend the appliance.
- Be sure not to expose the appliance to extreme temperatures, including water that is too hot. Hot water can cause warping.
- Be sure to bring your night guard along with you when you visit the dentist.
With dental guards, Hardin Family Dental can provide you with a way to safeguard your teeth against wear and tear and ease the jaw pain caused by nightly teeth grinding. Call 406-629-3070 today and have our dentists relieve your symptoms today!